Have you ever had one of those days where the simplest baking task seems like an immense hurdle? I'd mixed my dough (my everyday bread modified with a handful of rolled mixed grains, no sweetener - pretty much never after some discussions on here- and a bit of gluten as it seems the store-brand AP has been rather weak lately) from my trusty Colorado Only starter, which had been treated to a sterile bowl during priming while I washed the clamp-lid canning jar that I use to keep it in the refrigerator. I cheerfully sterilized it's "home" jar and attempted to put it back together.
I swear I've taken apart that jar and given it a thorough going over and sterilization plenty of times before and managed to put it back together with nary a problem. Not today. Apparently setting the stand mixer on the jar-loop bent it just enough to render putting the oval wire piece over the ends impossible. I tried for fifteen minutes, then my husband came along and gave it a try for another twenty. Then we both attacked it with pliers and any method we could contrive to try to make the stupid thing go back together! I imagined the jar shattering under our fevered efforts, but it didn't. Bye bye another thirty minutes. The husband finally produced a clean copper wire and squeezed the jar-loop ends together so we could slip the lid's holders over them. Fish on a stick! What a donnybrook. We set the steel oval wire aside, sure that dementia has visited us early. I think I'll just go buy new hardware and retire that to the Hall of Oh Heck...eventually.
I re-sterilized the whole thing again with the makeshift repair and can now report the starter is happily in its rightful home. Cheers! Have a good week, and happy baking, y'all.