Since I started on the home baking path I've been trying to achieve a good wholewheat bread. I wasn't getting much success with the recipes I came across. Since I had such good success with Rossnroller's version of Hamelman's Light Rye, I thought I'd try and tweak the basic recipe to achieve a wholewheat version.
The original recipe has 450g bread flour and 60g rye flour to 180g starter. I use 100% wholewheat starter. At first I tried just replacing the rye with wholemeal - great results. So I've been gradually increasing the proportion of wholemeal flour to see how it goes. Small water increases until dough feels right.
This one (baked about a fortnight ago - I'm a bit slow getting to the blog) is 40% wholewheat and I'm still delighted with the result. It was a present to a friend so I didn't get the crumb shots as I didn't take camera. I recreated this one for myself last weekend but forgot to take photos before it got polished off - the crumb was good though.