After my first blog, I have been thinking about what to write about next. Then it came to me - why not write about my second loaf with my new starter.
Ever the believer in the old adages 'practice makes perfect' and 'one swallow does not a summer make', I decided to do a repeat on the first. One small change was to put the baking dish back in the oven so that I could easily add water for steam in the first pahse of baking.
Every thing appeared pretty much a duplicate of the first run though I was a bit more confident about using the stretch and fold technique during the pre-ferment. The following is a snap of the dough after shaping and rising in the rye flour dredged tea-towel lined colander.
As before, turned out onto baking paper and given a checkerboard slashing. I was also a bit more generous with the depth of cut although there was some less than perfectly clean cuts.
After a little rest to let the dough recover from the trauma of the surgical incisions, it was into the oven with water added to the baking tray to provide some steam.
After the appropriate baking times it was out for all the world to see - a sight to behold. I didn't get to cut or taste this one since my daughter took it to Queensland to provide sustenance to a friend of hers that had his flat with at least three metres of water through it in the Brisbane floods. Ah well, a feast for the eyes if nothing else.
My only other comment is that the base was not as 'crisped' as the previous one and I wonder whether it was due to using the steam or whether it was the changed heat distribution in the oven due to the presence of the baking tray and rack though I would have thought that the baking stone would have compensated for that.